How to Play iTunes M4V Videos on Ubuntu Devices
Q: The ceremony of 69th Primetime Emmy finished, and the Emmy winners list was announced on September 17. After that, I can't resist purchasing and renting various winners TV shows from iTunes that can be playable well on Windows and Mac. But the problem is that I can't watch these iTunes digital content on Ubuntu successfully. What happened actually? Is there any solution to help me to play iTunes videos on Ubuntu? Thanks in advance.
View also: How to Install Spotify on Linux
Part 1. Everything You Should Know about Ubuntu & iTunes Videos
Based on Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu is an open source operating system software for computer, supporting x86, amd64 (x64), as well as architecture. Created by Canonical Ltd, the global professional development team, Ubuntu makes a great contribution on the popularity of GNU/Linux. As a result, more and more people can share this open source. Up to now, Ubuntu is also available for tablets and phones, with Ubuntu Touch edition, such as Meizu MX4, Aquaris E5 HD phone, and Aquaris M10 tablet.
If you are an iTunes movie addict and use some Ubuntu devices, you may meet the same obstacle while transferring iTunes movies and TV shows to Ubuntu for playback. Generally speaking, Ubuntu phones and tablets are compatible with M4V files. However, please be well noted that iTunes movies are encoded in M4V container format, which can be divided to two different types, called unprotected M4V format and DRM-ed M4V format. You can make it easy to play iTunes DRM-free M4V videos on Ubuntu devices with supported media players like VLC. But with built-in FairPlay DRM technology, iTunes DRM M4V movies and TV shows are only allowed to play on Apple-approved devices and players. Obviously, Ubuntu devices are not contained in it. Therefore, if you would like to transfer iTunes videos to Ubuntu for watching, you should be equipped with the pertinent third-party software, which can remove DRM protection from iTunes rentals and purchases legally.
Part 2. Best Solution to Remove DRM Limitation from iTunes M4V Movies
Since multiple software companies are aware of the demand of customers, there are kinds of iTunes DRM removal tools existing in the market. According to the experience of using these smart iTunes crackers, here, we highly recommend DRmare M4V Converter, one of the most professional yet smart DRM removal solutions. With the using of DRmare M4V Converter, you can get rid of DRM restriction from iTunes protected M4V videos easily and convert iTunes M4V to other common formats, such as MP4, MOV, MPEG, AVI, WMV, and more according to your needs. After conversion, you can sync iTunes library to any non-Apple devices, including Samsung Galaxy series, Ubuntu phones and tablets, Windows phone, etc.
Now, you can learn how to convert iTunes DRM M4V movies and TV shows to Ubuntu devices by the following step-by-step tutorial as below.
- Step 1 Import protected iTunes M4V videos to DRmare
- Double click to open DRmare, and you will see that iTunes will be launched automatically. There are two methods for you to import your wanted iTunes files to DRmare. The common way is to touch the "Add Files" button, and the list of iTunes library will show up, and then you can choose the iTunes M4V videos. The other approach is to drag and drop iTunes DRM files to DRmare directly.
- Step 2Set output format and destination folder
- In this step, you need to tap the "Format" option, and it will pop up a new windows, in which you can choose the Ubuntu compatible output format, such as M4V (Losslessly), MP4 as you like. Besides, you can change the target folder by clicking the "Output" button at the main interface of DRmare.
- Step 3 Remove DRM protection from iTunes M4V videos
- Before you start to convert iTunes DRM movies and TV shows to common non-DRM files, you can customize converted videos by clicking the "gear" icon to change the video size, bit rate, frame rate, etc. Also, you can skip this step to keep default values. Now, the only thing you should do is to tap the "Convert" option to start the conversion process.
More Tips: How to Play iTunes DRM-free Movies on Ubuntu
Now, with the help of DRmare M4V Converter, you can find out the common iTunes unprotected movies and TV shows in the destination folder that you set before. And then, you can simply sync your iTunes library to Ubuntu smartphone, tablet, or computer via a SD card or USD flash drive. What's more, because not all media players can support M4V format on Ubuntu, we can give you some suggestion about the top M4V media players, including VLC player, SMPlayer, and Miro media player that can support playing iTunes DRM-free M4V videos on Ubuntu well.