[Solved] How to Watch iTunes Movies on Windows Media Player
"I buy movies from iTunes routinely but I'd rather not use iTunes to play them as it takes up such a big memory to run and sometime it may freeze on my computer. So is it possible to play iTunes movies and TV series on Windows Media Player? Besides, I'd like to keep all my media files together.“ - Asked by Hailey Clark
Windows Media Player is the most common player, almost all kinds of Windows computers and mobile devices come with it. It is powerful with a lot of features including media playback, library management, multiple file formats supported, disc burning, media streaming and so on. Most people use it to play videos as well as audios on their daily basis in office or at home.
If you are also interested in playing media files such as iTunes movies on Windows Media Player, the following guide will show you how to easily convert iTunes DRM M4V videos to WMP for playback in seconds.
Part 1. What Formats Does Windows Media Player Support
There has been multiple versions of Windows Media Player released after it first appeared in 1991. This player has intrinsic support for Windows Media codec files such as WMA, WMV, ASF, AVI etc. And more and more new file formats are added with the development of the new versions. In the most recent version of Windows Media Player 12, It supports the following listed formats.
Supported Audio Formats: MP3, MID, MIDI, RMI, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, WAV, CDA, M4A, AAC, ADT, ADTS and so on.
Supported Video Formats: ASF, WMA, WMV, WM, ASX, WAX, WVX, WPL, WMD, AVI, DVR-MS, WMD, MPG, MPEG, IVF, MOV, MP4, M4V, MP4V, 3G2, 3GP2, 3GP, 3GPP, M2TS etc.
Furthermore, for other formats which are not on the support list of Windows Media Player, you can also install a third-party codec to enable it to support more media types. For instance, you can add more formats by using specific DirectShow filters or MediaFoundation codec. In brief, it can play any common files without any protection as long as you have the right codec installed.
Part 2. How to Enable iTunes M4V Playable on Windows Media Player
From what we have discussed above, we can find that M4V is already in the support list of Windows Media Player. But when we try to play the iTunes M4V files on Windows Media Player, it will still prompt you the error that 'Windows Media Player can't play this file, maybe the format or codec is not supported'. Why?
The reason is that, though M4V is supported by WMP, the iTunes M4V is encoded with the Apple iTunes FairPlay DRM copy protection before they are sold in iTunes. Under this protection, the iTunes movie files can only be played on selected players and devices from Apple like Apple TV, iOS devices, iTunes player, etc. In order to play the protected iTunes videos on other players like Windows Media Player, you must remove the DRM restriction at the first place.
Thankfully nowadays you can crack DRM with little effort using a powerful iTunes DRM video converter called DRmare iTunes M4V to WMP Converter. It is developed with stunning features to remove DRM, convert iTunes M4V videos etc. You only need to load your downloaded iTunes videos to the converter and the DRM will be removed automatically once the process is done.
DRmare DRM M4V to WMP Converter
Part 3. Complete Tutorial to Convert iTunes M4V Movies to Windows Media Player
It seems very easy to convert iTunes movies and TV shows to WMP with DRmare, right? If you haven't use the software yet, you can download the free trial version to evaluate it yourself. Following is the step by step tutorial.
- Step 1Load iTunes DRM M4V videos
- It is a piece of cake to import iTunes DRM M4V files, please just drag and drop the video files from iTunes library to the DRmare software screen. Sometimes if you fail to load the files, maybe the files are not downloaded completely. Please just make sure the iTunes purchased or rental videos are downloaded and authorized to play on the current computer before converting them.
- Step 2Customize output format for WMP
- Windows Media Player supports almost any formats, so you can select any formats you want theoretically to convert videos and remove DRM. But I'd suggest you to choose MP4(Lossless) since it can keep the original quality including the original subtitles, audio tracks. Based on your requirements, you might do some settings on the output video parameters such as the bit rate, frame rate too.
- Step 3Start to convert iTunes M4V videos to WMP
- In the end, you can press the 'Conversion' button at the bottom right side of the software to convert your iTunes videos. Please don't open other programs on your computer to make sure it runs fastest and most smoothly. When it is done, you can locate the converted folder and the output DRM free videos. Then you can play them on Windows Media Player freely or you can transfer them to the devices you want for backup.
Video Tutorial to Convert iTunes M4V to Windows Media Player
You are also suggested to follow the video guide as below to learn how to use DRmare M4V Converter to remove DRM from iTunes M4V and play the videos on Windows Media Player in details.