Different audio formats are available for different devices. The best part is that now the devices are cross-compatible. If you want to know what is Apple Lossless vs. AAC then it is advised to read this article till the end. It also means that you get the differentiation with ease and perfection. You will also get to know which one is good for you to use. Apple Lossless is a format that has been developed by Apple for its devices. It is also cross-device compatible. On the other hand, AAC is a format that has been developed open source.
For AAC there is no need for an upgrade as the container formats that come with it auto-update themselves for easy working and smooth experience. The format is one of the best and most widely used ones of all time. It is easily available online for downloading and installation.
Part 1. Detailed Introduction to Apple Lossless vs. AAC
Two extensions are widely used for Apple Lossless or ALAC. These extensions are .m4a and .caf and these two can also be searched for to get an idea about the format. Initially, the format was released in 2004 and since then it has become a pioneer in Apple devices and is used as one of the main formats. There is 8 channel audio that is supported by this format.
How to View ALAC File?
This is simple and you just need the correct program to make sure that the ALAC files are viewed. Once you click the ALAC file the program associated with the file will get it opened. On the other hand, it is also possible that the ALAC files are not associated with the program. In this case, you need to tell the OS which program to use to open the file.
It is a successor to the MP3 format. Within the 3GPP container, the extensions are m4a, mp4, and .3gp. There are 5 extensions within the Apple container and these are m4a, m4b, m4p, m4r, and m4v. It was first of all released in 1997 and offers lossy compression.
How to View the AAC File?
The file menu is used to play the AAC file. On Mac, the option of ‘Add to the library’ is used to play the file. On Windows OS use the Add file to library option to play the file. The players that are most commonly used to play such files are VLC, media player, M player, and Audials One. In the case of AAC vs. Apple Lossless both are easy to view.
Part 2. Advantages and Disadvantages of Apple Lossless and AAC
This section will deal with the pros and cons of both formats in great detail. It will also make sure that you tend to get the best and choose the format that is as per your needs.
Advantages of ALAC Format
- If you are ripping a DVD or CD using this format then it is assured that there will be no quality loss at all. The sound will be preserved with perfection.
- If you are converting to any lossy format then there is a chance of any info loss. It is not the case when it comes to this format.
Disadvantages of ALAC Format
- The biggest disadvantage is that it is only compatible with iDevices which lower the scope of this format.
- No error checking capability has been embedded within the format. If any error occurs you are not notified by the device.
Advantages of AAC
- The size is small and therefore more portable than ALAC. The parts that do not affect the listening experience are removed to reduce the size.
- The device compatibility of AAC is much larger as compared to ALAC and for the same reason, it is regarded as one of the most-used audio formats.
Disadvantages of AAC
- As the format removes the part of the audio track so the overall quality is degraded and there is a good chance that it will not come up to your mark.
- There are some devices such as SanDisk Sansa Line that do not support the format at all.
More Tips: How to Convert Protected AAC to MP3
The DRmare Audio Converter is one of the best and the most used programs that can be used to get the work done with perfection. The worse part of AAC is that some of them are encrypted and hence can be downloaded as protected files, which can be synced to limited devices.
In case you want to play protected AAC tracks, like Apple Music on other devices then DRmare Audio Converter is the only way out. It will make sure that the protection is removed and the songs are downloaded as MP3 and other audio files. After that, all AAC files can be playable on any device without hassle.
How to convert Protected AAC to MP3
Step 1. Drag and drop the songs onto the program so that it converts the music. The "+" button can also be used to import the songs directly from iTunes library to the program with ease.
Step 2. In the next window, you need to set the parameters of the output. It includes sample rate, bit rate, channel, and even format which in this case would-be MP3.
Step 3. Click "Convert" on the bottom right corner and the program will convert all the protected AAC files to MP3 which can be used on any device with ease.
Part 3. In Summary
Here are all about ALAC and AAC, including the definition, pros, and cons, how to view them, etc. Up to now, you might get the right answer to which format to choose. By the way, if AAC is your favorite, don't miss the DRmare Audio Converter to convert AAC files to plain audio formats without protection for better playback.