How to Convert Protected Apple Music M4P to AAC
"I am a subscriber of Apple Music. I downloaded the M4P songs to my local computer. Is it possible to convert M4P to AAC so that to transfer to Android devices? I don't want other formats such as MP3 because AAC seems to have better quality. "
That is right. Apple Music is encrypted with M4P format. Except Apple devices, there is no other players or devices can play it. To solve this dilemma, we will offer the tips to convert Apple Music songs to AAC format here.
Part 1. M4P vs AAC: Main Difference
When it comes to Apple Music or iTunes songs, many people may have hear about that they are encoded in AAC codec with MP4 or M4A format. So what are the differences among M4A, M4P and AAC?
What Is AAC
AAC, short for Advanced Audio Coding, is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. It is regarded as the successor of the MP3 format. For the same bit rate audio files, AAC perform better than MP3. The standard AAC file is in AAC format.
AAC is also part of MPEG-4 Audio which used widely on YouTube, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Nintendo DSi, iTunes, PlayStation, Sony Walkman.
What Is M4P & M4A
Both are the proprietary container formats created by Apple. M4A contains everything of AAC except the format is different. M4P combines AAC file as well as the digital rights managements protection. This means you can't play M4P files freely elsewhere even if you have subscribed to the service.
Part 2. Best M4P Converter You Need
So is there a free M4P converter to encode M4P to AAC? Unfortunately no. Though many free audio converter online support to convert common files like MP3, M4A, WAV, WMA and much more, few supports DRM protected files.
At this point, I'd highly recommended you DRmare Apple Music Converter for Windows/Mac. It supports both DRM and non-DRM files. It is not a freeware, but it has a lot of fantastic features which can't be found from free tools. With these powerful features, it will save you much time and energy to convert your files.
DRmare Apple Music Converter for Windows/Mac
- Support DRM M4P, M4B, AA/AAX and and any other common non-DRM files
- Losslessly remove DRM protection from Apple Music with 30X faster speed
- Support to convert to a lot of formats MP3, M4A, M4B, AAC, FLAC, WAV
- Lifetime free update and support, solve any problem for you in a timely manner
Part 3. Steps to Convert M4P to AAC Quickly
With the easy M4P converter, it has never been easier to convert Apple Music files. Please refer to the following tutorial step by step.
- Step 1Start DRmare Audio Converter
- You can click the "Download" button to download and install DRmare software. Then you will see the shortcut on the desktop and you can one click to launch it.
- Step 2Add DRM M4P music files
- To convert M4P files, please make sure you have downloaded and authorize them to play well on iTunes first. After that, you can either drag & drop them to the DRmare main screen or click "Add Files" button to browse the files.
- Step 3Set the output format as AAC
- AAC is supported by DRmare software. Just click the format icon near the "Convert" button and then it will pop up a window for you to select the AAC format as well as customize the output parameters such as Codec, Channel.
- Step 4Start removing DRM
- Finally, you can click "Convert" button from the bottom right. DRmare software will get rid of the DRM protection and extract the original AAC files from your M4P music files.