How to Import Songs from Spotify to GarageBand
"I am a music student. Can I import songs from Spotify to GarageBand for editing and creating new songs for my homework? I couldn't find an effective way to do that. Do I have to buy the music from iTunes first? Any comments will be highly appreciated." - Question from Apple community.
GarageBand is a full-function music creation studio for your Mac OSX and iOS devices. It comes with a series of great features for creating music projects. It includes instruments, presets for guitars, special audio effects, voice recording, MIDI editing as well as music lessons. This tool is completely free and it is pretty easy to use for junior artists, music fans, and students.
But speaking of using Spotify and GarageBand together, it is a difficult task without the help of a third-party tool. Please follow this complete tutorial to put Spotify songs into GaragBband to avoid possible troubles.
Part 1. Can You Import Songs from Spotify to GarageBand
What Audio Is Supported by GarageBand
Apple GarageBand supports to add files by recording or importing. When recording in GarageBand, it will record the songs with 16bit/44.1KHz. If you have music with other parameters such as 48KHz, GarageBand won't support recording these songs. For the importing format, GarageBand enablers users to add AIFF, CAF, WAV, AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3, and MIDI files. It's worth mentioning that it doesn't support protected AAC files but iTunes music.
Why You Can't Import Spotify to GarageBand
There is no Spotify GarageBand app to stream Spotify music in GarageBand. And like other streaming music services, Spotify has encrypted its audio files. What's more, Spotify tracks are Ogg Vorbis files. Even if you have downloaded Spotify songs locally, you still couldn't add Spotify music to GarageBand. In this case, to add songs from Spotify to GarageBand, it's necessary to convert Spotify to common files.
Part 2. How to Convert Spotify Songs to GarageBand Compatible Files
There is no straightforward way to add a song from Spotify to GarageBand. But there are always possible solutions for everything. You can use a third-party tool to convert Spotify songs to common music files for GarageBand. And then this music editing tool can recognize your Spotify music without a problem.
DRmare Spotify Music Converter for Mac is one of the best Spotify to GarageBand converters. It features the lossless audio encoding technology and 5X converting speed. It makes Spotify music download easier than ever. As the name suggests, it's also able to convert Spotify songs to MP3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, M4B, and M4A. With this all-in-one audio converter, you can easily put Spotify songs on GarageBand.
DRmare Spotify Converter for Windows/Mac
- Support to download Spotify audio files, music, podcasts, audiobooks for GarageBand
- Convert Spotify music to GarageBand supported formats, like WAV, MP3, AAC, etc.
- Enable you to distribute Spotify songs to other editing tools like GarageBand, Camtasia
- Automatically capture the Spotify ID 3 tags, metadata, artist info, album cover, year
Note: DRmare Spotify Music Converter is only for personal use, so please don't use it for commercial.
Still not so sure how does it work to download Spotify music to compatible files for GarageBand? No problem. Just click the "Download" button to install the DRmare Spotify Converter into your computer. Let me walk you through on how to do that. And then you can take songs from Spotify to GarageBand.
- Step 1Import Spotify songs or playlists
- DRmare Spotify Converter supports to download songs from the Spotify server directly. So, you can use it to record Spotify into GarageBand by doing a few clicks. Drag & drop the songs, albums, playlist from the Spotify app to the DRmare software main screen. Or you can input the Spotify URL link and press "+" to add files for editing in GarageBand.
- Step 2Choose a GarageBand compatible format
- DRmare supports six different formats, including MP3, M4A, WAV, FLAC, M4B, AAC. Please click 'DRmare Spotify Music Converter for Mac' from the Apple's top menu icon. Then click "Preferences" to choose the best format WAV as the output format. It is supported perfectly by GarageBand. Also, please change the bit rate as "16bit".
- Step 3Save Spotify as WAV songs for GarageBand
- Finally, you can choose an output folder and click the "Convert" button to launch the process. It will export the Spotify music to your local computer. The time it takes may vary depending on how many songs you imported. When it is done, the songs will be ready to be used anywhere including GarageBand. That is awesome, isn't it?
- Video DemoConvert Spotify Songs for GarageBand
Part 3. How to Import Songs from Spotify to GarageBand on Mac/iPhone
GarageBand is a great tool to get started in the realm of music editing. With GarageBand, you can easily start a project on one Apple device and continue on another one. Adding instrument effects like drummer, guitar, making beats, recording vocals is just a breeze.
Now, you can create your musical masterpiece with Spotify songs. It's easy to get Spotify songs on GarageBand. Just follow a certain guide to edit songs from Spotify on GarageBand on Mac and iPhone.
Import Music from Spotify to GarageBand on Mac
- Open iTunes, click "File" > "Add Files to Library" to import the Spotify songs you downloaded.
- Open GarageBand on your Mac computer and open the Media Browser.
- You can select a song from iTunes and drag it into the screen.
- From there, you can edit the songs such as adding effects and so on.
- When it is done, you can export the song as a ringtone or share it with your friends.
Import Spotify Songs to GarageBand on iPhone
- Import converted WAV Spotify songs to the iTunes library. Please select the "Edit" > "Preferences" >"General" tab to activate the "iCloud Music Library".
- Your Spotify songs will be synced to other Apple devices, including your iPhone. Please make sure the 'iCloud Music Library' turns on well on your iPhone.
- Launch the GarageBand for iOS app on your iPhone. Navigate to the "Tracks View" > "Loop Browser" > "Music" section. The Spotify songs that are available to import will show up. You can choose your favorite songs to import.
With the help of the DRmare Spotify Music Converter, Spotify songs are common files and saved on your computer. No matter you have a Mac or iOS device, you can refer to the above guide to import songs from Spotify to GarageBand. In fact, you can not only edit Spotify music on GarageBand but also any other music editor. If you have questions on adding Spotify music, please leave them in the comment area.