How to Import Spotify Music to GarageBand for Editing
"I am a music student. Can I add Spotify music to GarageBand to edit and create new songs for my homework? There is just not a way to do that. Do I have to buy the music from iTunes first? Any comments will be highly appreciated." - Question from Apple community.
GarageBand is a full function music creation studio for your Mac OSX and iOS devices. It comes with a series of great features such as instruments, presets for guitars, special audio effects, voice recording, MIDI editing as well as music lessons.
This tool is completely free for Apple users yet it is pretty easy, making it the best music editing tools for junior artists and music fans or students. If you also encounter any problems on using Spotify music on GarageBand, now it is time to follow this post to solve it immediately.
Part 1. What Audio Is Supported by GarageBand and Why You Can't Import Spotify
Apple GarageBand supports to add files by recording or importing.
When recording, it will only record the songs with 16bit/44.1KHz. If you have other parameters of music such as 4KKHz which is not supported. For the importing format, it only supports AIFF and WAV files with 16bit. For other files such as MP3, M4A, AAC etc., they will be converted and stored as AIFF in your projects.
As the most widely used streaming service, Spotify only supports online streaming. Even if you subscribe to the Spotify Premium membership, you can't find the downloaded files either because they are encrypted. As a result, you will can't use Spotify songs on GarageBand directly.
Part 2. How to Turn Spotify to be GarageBand Compatible Files
But don't worry, there are always possible solutions for everything.
Instead of paying for the songs from iTunes or local music store, you can also turn Spotify songs to common music files for GarageBand music editing tool. How?
Just use the DRmare Spotify Downloader for Mac/Windows to help you. It is developed with the lossless audio encoding technology and 5X converting speed, download Spotify music has never been easier. Yet all of these are totally free. Note: DRmare Spotify Music Converter is only for personal use, so please don't use it for commercial.
DRmare Spotify Converter for Windows/Mac
- Support to download all Spotify audio files, music, podcasts, audiobooks
- Convert Spotify music to new formats WAV, MP3, AAC, FLAC without quality loss
- Enable you to distribute Spotify songs to other editing tools like GarageBand, Camtasia
- Automatically capture the Spotify ID 3 tags, metadata, artist info, album cover, year
Still not so sure how does it work to download Spotify music to compatible files for GarageBand? No problem. Just click the "Download“ button to install the DRmare Spotify Converter into your computer and let me walk you through on how to do that.
- Step 1Import Spotify songs or playlists
- DRmare Spotify Converter supports to capture songs from the Spotify server directly. You just need to drag & drop the songs, albums, playlist from the Spotify app to the DRmare software main screen. Or alternatively you can input the Spotify URL link and press "+".
- Step 2Choose a GarageBand compatible format
- DRmare supports different formats MP3, M4A, WAV, FLAC, M4B, AAC. Here you just need to click the top menu icon and then click "Preferences" and then choose the best format WAV that is supported perfectly by GarageBank. Also, please change the bit rate as "16".
- Step 3Save Spotify as WAV songs
- Finally, you can choose an output folder and click "Convert" to export the Spotify music to your local computer. The time it takes may vary depending on how many songs you imported. When it is done, the songs will be ready to be used anywhere including GarageBand. That is awesome, isn't it?
Part 3. How to Use GarageBand to Edit Spotify Music
GarageBand is a great way to get started in the realm of music editing. With GarageBand, you can easily start a project from one Apple device and continue from another.
Adding instrument effects like drummer, guitar, making beats, recording vocals is just a breeze. Now just follow the steps to create your music masterpiece.
- Open iTunes, click "File" > "Add Files to Library" to import the Spotify songs you downloaded.
- Open GarageBank on your Mac computer and open the Media Browser.
- You can select a song from iTunes and drag it into the screen.
- From there, you can edit the songs such as adding effects and so on.
- When it is done, you can export the song as a ringtone or share it with your friends.
That is it. Hope you enjoy editing Spotify songs on GarageBand.