M4A is a common audio format which is used in Apple devices and iTunes platforms. It has a small file size and with higher audio quality. Yet, M4A files can't be played well on some devices and platforms. In this case, most people want to convert M4A to MP3 or other audio formats for use anywhere.
So, how to convert M4A file to MP3? In this post, there are some tools for you to get M4A convert to MP3. You can do that for free, online, on Mac, and on Windows computers with ease. Now, let's check out how to make it step by step.
View also: M4A vs MP3
Part 1. How to Convert M4A to MP3 by DRmare Audio Converter
At the beginning, we would like to show the best tool to you to convert M4A files to MP3 audio. This tool is DRmare Audio Converter. It supports to convert both protected M4A files and unprotected M4A files without any issues. In other words, it can remove protection from iTunes songs, Apple Music, and Audible. Also, it can convert audio files from your local device.
For the output audio formats, it not only can convert audio to MP3 but also FLAC, M4B, WAV and more. Besides, it can run at a fast conversion rate and keep the original music quality. Also, all the ID3 tags will be kept after the conversion. In addition, if you want to get a better listening quality, you can change the audio channel, bit rate and more for your audio tracks.
After the conversion, you will get the M4A conversion to MP3 or other audio formats you like. Then you can move those audio files to any device you want for offline playing.
DRmare M4A to MP3 Converter
How to Convert M4A Files to MP3 by DRmare Audio Converter
Now, let's learn more about how to convert M4A to MP3 Windows 10 and Mac. DRmare Audio Converter has the Windows and Mac versions. You can download one of them on your computer. Here we will take the Mac version as an example to show you how to make M4A into MP3 Mac.
- Step 1Set up DRmare Audio Converter
- Open the DRmare Audio Converter on your Mac computer. You will then see its clean main screen. At the same time, it will load the iTunes software.
- Step 2Add M4A files to DRmare
- If you want to convert protected M4A audio files, you need to download and authorize the audio to play well in iTunes in advance. If it is done, then you can press the first 'Add Files' button to browse and the audio files to import. If you want to add your local M4A audio, you can click on the second 'Add Files' button. Then you can locate the plain M4A files on your computer and add them to DRmare.
- Step 3Set output format for M4A audio
- To save M4A as MP3 format, you need to reset the output format as MP3 in DRmare program. Please click on the 'audio' icon and you can begin to alter the output audio parameters. You can then change the codec, bit rate and more for your audio files if you want.
- Step 4Convert M4A file to MP3
- Now, hit on the 'Convert' button to start converting M4A to MP3 file. A while later, the M4A files will be converted to MP3 format. And you can find then in the 'converted' section. After that, you can transfer those audio files to any device you like for offline use.
Part 2. How to Turn M4A into MP3 by iTunes
iTunes is not only a tool to stream media files but can also help convert audio files. So, here you can use iTunes to convert M4A to MP3 free. Now, let's learn more about how to use it get M4A convert to MP3.
Step 1. Open the iTunes software on your computer.
Step 2. Hit on 'File' > 'Add Folder to Library' to choose the folder that contains M4A files. And then touch 'Open' to import M4A audio files to iTunes.
Step 3. Select 'Edit' > 'Preferences' and hit 'Import Settings'.
Step 4. Then tap the 'Import Using' box to choose 'MP3 Encoder'. After that, click 'OK' to keep the settings.
Step 5. Highlight 'Music' in the 'Library' section in iTunes. Then choose the album with the M4A audio you are converting.
Step 6. Choose every M4A file and hit on the 'File' menu. Then select 'Convert' > 'Create MP3 Version' to save M4A into MP3 file in iTunes.
Part 3. How to Convert M4A Files to MP3 with Audacity
In this part, you will learn the conversion of M4A to MP3 for free by Audacity. Audacity is great to help. It can record audio from your computer and it helps convert audio tracks with ease. Here we go.
Before that, you need to prepare something too. That's you need to download and install LAME and FFMPEG. That's because Audacity can't open M4A file directly.
To download LAME, you can go to https://lame.buanzo.org/#lamewindl. You can download the .exe file and then open it.
To download FFMPEG, please visit https://lame.buanzo.org/#lamewindl again and download the FFMPEG zip file. After then, extract the file to your computer.
Step 1. First, you need to download and install the Audacity program from its official website.
Step 2. Once installed, then open it on your computer. Then click 'Edit' > 'Preferences' > 'Library'. And then choose 'Locate' button next to the FFMPEG library. Then go to the file avformat-55.dll in the folder that you extracted FFMPEG.
Step 3. Hit on the 'File' option at the top bar and import M4A audio files. You can add files from iTunes by hitting 'Import' > 'Audio'. After loading the files to Audacity, you can adjust them as you want.
Step 4. Touch the 'File' option again. Then click 'Export' > 'Export as MP3' to output M4A audio to MP3. After then, you need to click 'Save' button to save M4A as MP3 format.
Part 4. How to Convert an M4A to MP3 by Windows Media Player
Another M4A converter to MP3 is Windows Media Player. It is easy to convert from M4A audio files to MP3 with this tool. Now, let's find out how it works for the conversion of M4A to an MP3 format.
Step 1. Launch the Windows Media Player on your computer. And then drag and drop any M4A file you like to convert to this program.
Step 2. Locate the 'Organize' button at the top menu bar. Then hit on the 'Options' > 'RIP Music' option.
Step 3. Tap 'Rip Music' tab and scroll down to choose the 'Change' option in the new window.
Step 4. Here you can choose 'MP3' under the 'Format' option. And then click 'OK'. The M4A files will be converted to MP3 at once.
Part 5. How to Convert M4A to MP3 Online Free
Besides using the desktop program to convert M4A audio tracks to MP3, there are some online tools for you to make it. If you are looking for an M4A audio converter free online, then you can check out this part. Here we will list some of them for you to get M4A into MP3 format online.
1. Online Audio Converter
Online Audio Converter is free to use online. You can easily use it to make M4A as MP3 format or any other format. Also, it supports to convert PDF files, video files, and so on. Here let's see how to use it.
- Visit the Online Audio Converter website. Then touch the 'Open Files' button to choose and load M4A files from your computer.
- Go ahead to choose 'MP3' as the output audio format for your M4A files.
- Press the 'Convert' button to begin converting M4A into MP3 audio files.
- Once converted, tap the 'Download' button to download and store the converted files to your computer.
Zamzar is also on online tool for users to convert any kind of media content. Here let's see how to use it to run the conversion from M4A to MP3.
- Head to Zamzar website and click on the 'Add Files' button. Then you can process to import M4A files to it.
- Go to reset the output audio format as MP3 for your M4A audio tracks next to the 'Convert To' option.
- Press the 'Convert Now' button to start the conversion.
- When it is done, tap the 'Download' button to save the file to your PC.
Another online converter for M4A files is Evano. It is quite easy to use the same as the two above. Here you can follow the steps below and start.
- Enter Evano official website and tap the 'Choose File' button to add M4A audio to it.
- Next, head to customize output audio format as MP3.
- Hit on the 'Convert' button to convert M4A audio as MP3 files.
Now, you learned how to convert M4A audio file to MP3 by the M4A to MP3 converter above. They are online, for free, on Windows and Mac. You can choose one and follow the detailed steps to convert your M4A files with ease. By the way, if you have both protected and unprotected M4A audio tracks, then you need to use the DRmare Audio Converter. It would be great for you to convert and save any M4A files into MP3 format for use anywhere.