HomeHow ToConvert M4V to MP4 without Spending Money
M4V and MP4 are both very similar video container formats. Without the optional DRM protection, they could be played on many players. Such as iTunes, QuickTime, Media Player Classic, RealPlayer, Zoom Player, DivX Plus Player, Nero ShowTime. One fact we can't deny is that M4V is not as popular as MP4. There are still some mobile devices and players don't support M4V so well.
That is why we need to convert M4V videos. The most direct way is to rename M4V file extension to MP4. But it may not work for some special codec M4V files. Here I will offer the top 2 ways to convert M4V to MP4 with online video converters or downloaded freewares.
Nowadays there are many free online converters such as Zamzar, FileZigZag. It can convert many files including audio, video, documents to other formats of files from any computers. Just make sure you have Internet connection. You don't need to download or install the tools, just go to the websites and you will be able to use them. The downside is that the converting and uploading speed is slow.
In general, the instruction and limitation of all these free online converters are more or less the same. Take the FileZigZag for example. It supports to convert 1 file at a time and you are limited to convert only one file over 180MB(up to 2GB) one day for free. Now let's go to the FileZigZag website and start to convert a video with it.
1. Drag & drop to import your M4V movie file to the importing area or click 'Select' to browse a file from your computer. It may take a few seconds/minutes to upload.
2. Click the 'Convert to' droplist and select the output format as 'MP4'.
3. On the 'Email address' box, please input your email address. Make sure to input your right email.
4. Click 'Convert' button to start converting. The converting time is longer that local software, so please wait patiently. When it is done, you will get the video download link by email.
Part 2. Encode M4V Videos with HandBrake/VLC Player
If you don't have a fast and stable internet connection, the online converter may not help you. So you need to install a free M4V converter. Handbrake and VLC are highly recommended. HandBrake is a free and open-source encoder for digital video files, it support to convert any videos to new files with different codecs. VLC is commonly known as a cross platform player,but you may not know it is also a great free converter to convert plenty of video files.
1. Launch VLC Player from your computer, you will see the main screen of it.
2. Click 'Media' > 'Convert/Save' menu to open the video converting panel.
3. VLC supports to convert files from local folders, DVDs, Nas and devices. Please click 'Add' menu and then select one or more M4V videos from your computer.
4. Click 'Convert/Save' button under the converting window, it will pop up the options for you to select the output media format and output folder.
5. After that, you can click 'Start' button to start transcoding your M4V to MP4 quickly.
Part 3. Further Tips: Transcode DRM Protected M4V Movies with DRmare M4V Converter
Sometimes it is possible all the online video converters and downloaded freewares don't work. You find it difficult to get a workable converter for your M4V files. Then it is most likely that your M4V files are DRM protected. None of the common converters can defeat or circumvent DRM copy protection. Hence, you need a specific DRM removal shareware.
It will save your previous time when converting multiple videos with the batch converting feature. The output video quality won't be changed as it does a 1:1 Copy during converting. No matter what kinds of iTunes videos such as movies, TV shows, extras, purchases, rentals you have, DRmare will convert them with ease. In addition, the free trial version is readily available, you can download it to try it out without time limitation.
Believe it or not. This is the cleanest software interface I have ever used before. To get started, you just need to drag and drop to import your iTunes M4V movies from your library or computer folder.
Step 2Customize video parameters(optional)
Since the software have already set the output format as 'MP4' by default, you don't have to change it. But you can do some settings such as changing bit rate, frame rate, audio track, subtitle to make your new videos look more personalized.
Step 3Start to convert M4V to MP4
Now it is almost done. Just click 'Convert', you will get your DRM free MP4 output files within a few minutes. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that video converting is a memory-consuming job. So please don't do any other things on the computer during converting as it may affect the software from running.
Check this video to find out how does it work quickly: