The Spotify app for Apple Watch was first launched in 2018. In May 2021, offline playback functionality was added to Spotify Premium users. However, this version still requires you to select music offline using your iPhone, and can only download individual songs to the watch. Fortunately, on November 9, 2022, the Spotify Apple Watch app was updated with several new features. One of the best things about it is that once you click on an album or playlist, you can choose to download or play the music. You can listen to Spotify music offline without using your phone. Wondering how to play Spotify on Apple Watch? Read on to get all the tips for streaming Spotify on Apple Watch, with or without Premium.
Part 1. Can You Use Spotify on Apple Watch
Does Spotify work on Apple Watch? Yes. There's a Spotify for Apple Watch app that lets Premium users listen to music directly from their wrist. If you're a Spotify Premium user, you can stream music or download music for offline listening, all directly on your watch. If you are a free user, you cannot play Spotify music directly on your watch and need to use the Watch app on your phone to control Spotify on your Apple Watch. Now let's see what you get with or without Premium.
|Spotify Premium||Spotify Free|
|Stream music, podcasts, audiobooks online from Apple Watch||✔||❌|
|Download music and podcasts for offline listening from the Watch app||✔||❌|
|Download music and podcasts for offline listening from Apple Watch||✔||❌|
|Download audiobooks for offline listening||❌||❌|
|Control your phone's Spotify app from your Apple Watch||✔||✔|
|Control what plays on another device with Spotify Connect||✔||✔|
|Use Siri to voice control your music and podcasts||✔||✔|
How to Install Spotify on Apple Watch
Whether you are a Premium or Free Spotify user, you can easily install the Spotify app on your Apple Watch in two ways: from the App Store on your Apple Watch or from the Watch app on your iPhone. Choose your preferred method.
Way 1: From your Apple Watch
Step 1. Power on your watch. Then go to the 'Home' screen and launch the 'App Store'.
Step 2. Hit 'Search' to find the Spotify app.
Step 3. Click on 'Spotify' to get its details. Then press 'Get'.
Step 4. Double-click the side button to download and install the Spotify app to Apple Watch.
Way 2: From your iPhone
Step 1. Install the 'Watch' app on your iPhone.
Step 2. If you haven't paired your phone with your Apple Watch, you'll be prompted. Just follow the instructions to pair.
Step 3. Open the 'Watch' app and then tap on 'My Watch' > 'Available Apps'.
Step 4. Click 'install' next to Spotify to download Spotify to Apple Watch.
Part 2. How to Get Spotify on Apple Watch without Phone - Premium Only
As mentioned above, Spotify Premium subscribers can listen to music directly from their wrists, with no phone required. In this section, we will show you how to stream and download Spotify music on Apple Watch. Before that, you can follow the steps in Part 1 to install Spotify on your Apple Watch.
To play Spotify on Apple Watch without phone, you need:
- A Spotify Premium account
- An Apple Watch Series 3 or later, with watch OS 7.0 or above
- A cellular or WiFi connection
- Connect your Apple Watch to Bluetooth headphones
1. How to Play Spotify on Apple Watch without iPhone:
Step 1. Open the Spotify app on your watch.
Step 2. Sign in to your Spotify Premium account and then browse songs, playlists, albums, or podcasts to listen to.
Step 3. Once you select a song to listen to, you will see the music title and artist name displayed above. There are two icons at the bottom, one for adding/removing "liked songs" and the other a "Spotify Connect" icon where you can choose which device to play Spotify music on.
Step 4. By swiping left on the home screen, you can see illustrations of music and control shuffle, loop, and more.
Step 5. Swipe right on the home screen and you'll see "Recently Played", which shows the music you've recently listened to on Spotify. At the top, you can see two sections: "Your Library"; "Downloads".
Step 6. Additionally, you can use Siri to control Spotify with your voice. You can ask it to play, pause, skip, control volume, and more.
2. How to Download Spotify on Apple Watch:
There are two ways you can download songs and podcasts to your Apple Watch for offline listening: from your Apple Watch or your iPhone. Here we only introduce the first method because it is more convenient and does not require a mobile phone.
Step 1. Open the Spotify app on your Apple Watch.
Step 2. Tap on 'Your Library' and find the albums, playlists, or podcasts you want to download.
Step 3. Tap on the 'Download' icon at the bottom left to start downloading Spotify playlists to Apple Watch.
Step 4. Once downloaded the songs, you can find them in 'Your Library' > 'Downloads'. Then you can listen to Spotify offline on Apple Watch without phone.
Part 3. How to Download Spotify on Apple Watch without Phone - Free & Premium Users
As mentioned above, only Spotify Premium subscribers can listen to music online and offline without a phone on Apple Watch. So, can you listen to Spotify offline for free on Apple Watch without a phone? Yes, DRmare Spotify Music Converter allows you to do just that. It allows you to download Spotify songs without Premium, as local files stored on your device. You can then transfer the downloaded songs to your Apple Watch for offline listening without a phone.
This professional downloader supports all Spotify audio content, including songs, playlists, albums, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. So, it gives you features that even premium subscribers don't have access to - listening to audiobooks offline on your Apple Watch. Also, it allows you to convert Spotify music to MP3, FLAC, AAC, etc. without original sound quality. In this way, you can move the converted Spotify music to other devices besides Apple Watch for offline listening.
DRmare Spotify Music Converter
How to Download Spotify Songs on Apple Watch for Offline Playback
Now we will show you how to download Spotify songs and convert Spotify to MP3 files. Then you can listen to Spotify offline on Apple Watch without a phone.
- Step 1Add Spotify songs to DRmare
- To add Spotify songs to DRmare Spotify Music Converter, there are two methods. You can drag and drop Spotify music to the DRmare's interface. Also, you are allowed to use the URL of Spotify tracks in the DRmare search box. Then press the '+' icon next to the search box. DRmare will analyze and load the tracks for you.
- Step 2Set MP3 as output format for Spotify Apple Watch offline
- Please touch the top 'menu' > 'Preferences' > 'Convert' to launch the format window. And then you can choose MP3 as the output format for Apple Watch. In fact, MP3 is the default output format for DRmare Spotify Playlist Downloader. So you can skip this step. Of course, you can customize the channel, bit rate, and other output parameters.
- Step 3Download Spotify playlist for Apple Watch
- Once all settings are ready, please click the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner to start downloading Spotify playlists for Apple Watch. DRmare Spotify Music Converter will also remove DRM from Spotify music. When it's over, follow the 'Converted' path at the bottom to locate the downloaded Spotify files.
- Step 4Transfer and add Spotify to Apple Watch without phone offline
- Now, Spotify music tracks are converted to unprotected MP3 files that are compatible with Apple Watch. Below are how to add Spotify to Apple Watch with the help of your iPhone.
- Please connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable or the same WiFi.
- Then open iTunes on your computer and click 'File' > 'Add File to Library' to import converted Spotify music to iTunes.
- Now click your iPhone on iTunes and choose 'Music' > 'Sync Music' to sync the downloaded Spotify music to iPhone.
- Now, you can pair your iPhone and Apple Watch through Bluetooth.
- Once connected, please open the 'Apple Watch' app on your iPhone.
- Then tap 'My Watch' > 'Music' > 'Add Music' to add Spotify music to your Apple Watch.
- Once the sync's over, you can control Spotify from Apple Watch even without an iPhone nearby. Have a try and get Apple Watch Spotify offline playback with ease.
Part 4. How to Play Spotify on Apple Watch with Phone - Free Users
If you're a free Spotify user, you can't listen to Spotify directly from your wrist. But you can control the Spotify app on other devices through your Apple Watch. Now let's see how to control Spotify with Apple Watch.
- An iPhone running iOS 12 or later
- An Apple Watch on watchOS 4.0 or above
- Pair your iPhone with your Apple Watch
Step 1. Install the Spotify app on both your Apple Watch and iPhone.
Step 2. Power your watch and open the Spotify app and tap on the music you want to play.
Step 3. Click the "Spotify Connect" icon at the bottom right and you can select your iPhone from the list. You can then use your Apple Watch to control Spotify music playing on your iPhone.
Part 5. How to Fix Spotify Not Working on Apple Watch
Some users reported issues like 'Spotify Apple Watch not working', 'Spotify not downloading Apple Watch stuck', etc. Don't worry. Below are some solutions for you to fix the issues.
1. Check whether your Apple Watch is connected to WiFi. If not, please connect the same WiFi with your Apple Watch and iPhone. Then try Spotify once again.
2. Check whether Bluetooth on Apple Watch is enabled. If not, turn it on on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
3. Force close and restart the Spotify app on your Apple Watch. Close the Spotify app and then restart it on your Apple Watch to see whether it can work.
4. Restart your Apple Watch device. By doing this, it will clear out all opened apps. Then power on the Apple Watch again and try to launch the Spotify app again.
5. Update your Apple Watch and the Spotify app. Check whether the Spotify app and Apple Watch are updated or not. If not, please update it to the latest version.
6. Delete the Spotify app on your Apple Watch. Please delete the app completely. Then reinstall it again to your Watch.
7. Contact Spotify Support. You can reach out to Spotify Support for further assistance.
If all the solutions above don't work, you can try the method in Part 3 to listen to Spotify on Apple Watch.
Part 6. FAQs about Apple Watch Spotify
Q1: Can I Listen to Spotify Offline on My Apple Watch?
A: Yes. Now, you can directly download Spotify playlist to Apple Watch and listen to it offline, without using your phone. If you are a free user, try using DRmare Spotify Downloader to download Spotify to Apple Watch.
Q2: Can I Play Spotify on Apple Watch without Phone?
A: Yes. If you're a Spotify Premium subscriber, you can enjoy Spotify music online or offline directly on your wrist. You need to have an Apple Watch Series 3 or later, with watch OS 7.0 or above.
If you're a free Spotify subscriber, you can't do that. But you can use DRmare Spotify Converter to do download Spotify music without Premium and then add Spotify music to your Apple Watch for offline listening without phone.
Q3: Why Can't I Play Spotify on My Apple Watch?
A: If you have issues playing Spotify on Apple Watch, it could be no internet connection, Spotify app not updating, no Spotify Premium subscription, etc. You can check how to fix the issue above in this article.
Q4: Can I Use Spotify Connect on My Apple Watch?
A: Yes, Spotify Connect works on Apple Watch. Make sure the device you want to use is on the same WiFi connection as your watch. Then open Spotify on your watch and select any playlist to listen to. Simply tap the "Spotify Connect" icon at the bottom right and you'll see a list of available devices. Select the device you want and Spotify music will stream to your device.
Part 7. In Conclusion
The Spotify app on Apple Watch allows Premium subscribers to access and control Spotify music, podcasts and audiobooks directly from their wrist. With a Premium account, you can also download Spotify songs to Apple Watch for offline listening, use Spotify Connect to control playback on other devices, use Siri voice commands to control Spotify, and more. But if you're a free Spotify user, you can't play Spotify directly from your wrist. You can take help from DRmare Spotify Downloader. It allows you to download lossless Spotify music without Spotify Premium and listen to it on Apple Watch without phone.