The Spotify for Apple Watch app was first launched in 2018. Last May, the ability to play offline was added for Spotify Premium users. However, that version still required you to use your iPhone to select music offline, and you could only download individual songs to your watch.
And on November 9th of this year, the Apple Watch Spotify app has been updated with a number of new features. One of the best is that once you click on an album or playlist, you can choose to download or play the music. You will be able to listen to Spotify music offline without using your phone.
Want to know how to use Spotify on Apple Watch offline? Read on and you'll find out. You'll also get more tips on playing Spotify on your Apple Watch without your phone.
Part 1. Can You Use Spotify on Apple Watch
Does Spotify work on Apple Watch? Yes, Spotify Premium subscribers can play songs, podcasts, and audiobooks directly from their Apple Watch. Even better, they can download from the Spotify app on Apple Watch and play offline without an Internet connection. However, free Spotify users can't play Spotify music directly on the Apple Watch or listen offline.
On November 9, 2022, Spotify announced a series of updates. Spotify has redesigned the app's interface with larger album covers, new animations, and more. Users can more easily access music and podcasts through a newly designed "Your Library" interface. In addition, the new app makes it easier to download Spotify music and listen offline.
Here are some of the top features of the Spotify app on Apple Watch:
- Download Spotify music, podcasts, and audiobooks for playback without phone
- Stream Spotify music directly from your Apple Watch
- Control Spotify on Apple Watch (volume/play/pause/skip ffw/skip back)
- Spotify Connect available
- Siri support
- Like tracks/save tracks
- Choose to play recently played music
Part 2. How to Stream Spotify on Apple Watch - Free Users
If you are a free user of Spotify, you are not allowed to download Spotify music on your Apple Watch. And you cannot directly listen to Spotify from your wrist. But you can use your phone to stream Spotify music to your Apple Watch.
To Listen to Spotify Music on Apple Watch (with Free Spotify Account), You Need:
- an iPhone running iOS 12 or later
- an Apple Watch on watchOS 4.0 or above
- Pair your iPhone with your Apple Watch with Bluetooth
Now let's see how to put Spotify music on Apple Watch for free users.
How to Set up Spotify on Apple Watch with iPhone:
Step 1. Install and launch the 'Watch' app on your iPhone.
Step 2. Open the 'Watch' app and then tap on the 'My Watch' tab.
Step 3. Click 'install' under the 'Available Apps' option to add Spotify to Apple Watch.
How to Control Spotify on Apple Watch with iPhone:
Step 1. You can now open the 'Spotify' app on your iPhone.
Step 2. Browse your library and find the playlist you want to play on your Apple Watch.
Step 3. Tap on the playlist and you will see that Spotify is launched on your watch. You can then control the playback on Apple Watch with your iPhone.
Part 3. How to Get Spotify on Apple Watch - Premium Only
If you're a Spotify Premium user, things are much easier. You can play Spotify music directly on your Apple Watch and download songs for offline listening. All these can be done from your Apple Watch, no iPhone is required.
To Stream Spotify Music on Apple Watch (with Premium Spotify Account), You Need:
- a Spotify Premium account
- an Apple Watch Series 3 or later, with watch OS 6.0+ (recommend 7.1+) along with a cellular connection or WiFi
- Connect your Apple Watch to a cellular or WiFi
Now let's see how to connect Spotify to Apple Watch without a phone for Premium users.
How to Download Spotify to Apple Watch:
Step 1. Power on your watch. Then go to the 'Home' screen and launch the 'App Store'.
Step 2. Hit 'Search' to find the Spotify app.
Step 3. Click on 'Spotify' to get its details. Then press 'Get'.
Step 4. Double-click the side button to make Spotify download to Apple Watch.
How to Use Spotify on Apple Watch without Phone:
Step 1. Open the Spotify app on your watch.
Step 2. Tap 'Your Library' to browse the playlist or album you want to listen to.
Step 3. Press the 'Device' icon at the bottom right.
Step 4. Choose your Apple Watch from the list of available devices. (There is a 'Beta' tag on the name of your watch.)
Step 5. Once you choose, you can listen to Spotify without phone on Apple Watch.
How to Download Spotify Songs to Apple Watch:
Step 1. Open the installed Spotify app on your Apple Watch.
Step 2. Tap on 'Your Library' and find the songs, albums, or playlists you want to download.
Step 3. Tap on the 'Download' icon at the bottom left to start downloading Spotify playlists to Apple Watch.
Step 4. Once downloaded the songs, you can find them on 'Downloads'.
Step 5. You can now listen to Spotify offline on Apple Watch without phone.
Part 4. How to Play Spotify on Apple Watch Offline - All Users
"Can Apple Watch play Spotify without phone for free?" Of course. In this part, you will know how to enjoy Spotify music on Apple Watch without phone using a free Spotify account.
Apple Watch allows users to upload up to 2GB of local music files to the device. So, you can use DRmare Spotify Music Converter to convert Spotify music to plain MP3 files. And then you can transfer these MP3 files to your watch for offline playback without a phone.
This professional Spotify converter doesn't need a Spotify Premium account. You can use it to convert Spotify music to MP3, FLAC, AAC, etc. without original sound quality. Besides, you can use it as a Spotify music downloader to download songs/playlists/albums/podcasts. After downloading, all the metadata including the album art, composer, title, etc. will be fully kept.
DRmare Spotify Music Converter
How to Download Spotify Songs on Apple Watch for Offline Playback
Now we will show you how to download Spotify songs and convert Spotify to MP3 files. Then you can listen to Spotify offline on Apple Watch without a phone.
- Step 1Add Spotify music files to DRmare
- To add Spotify songs to DRmare Spotify Music Converter, there are two methods for your choice. You can drag and drop wanted Spotify playlists or albums to the DRmare's conversion window. Also, you are allowed to use the URL of Spotify tracks in the DRmare search box. Then press the '+' icon next to the search box. DRmare will analyze and load the tracks for you.
- Step 2Set MP3 as output format for Spotify Apple Watch offline
- Please touch the top 'menu' > 'Preferences' > 'Convert' to launch the format window. And then you can choose MP3 as the output format for Apple Watch. In fact, MP3 is the default output format for DRmare Spotify Playlist Downloader. So you can skip this step. Of course, you can customize the channel, bit rate, and so on.
- Step 3Download Spotify music for Apple Watch
- Once all settings are ready, please click the 'Convert' button at the bottom-right corner of the main screen. DRmare Music Converter for Spotify will remove DRM from Spotify music. And then convert Spotify OGG files to Apple Watch-supported MP3 files. When it's over, click 'Converted' (red tip) at the bottom to locate the downloaded Spotify files.
- Step 4Transfer and play Spotify on Apple Watch without phone offline
- Now, Spotify music tracks are converted to unprotected MP3 files that are compatible with Apple Watch. Below are how to sync Spotify music to Apple Watch with the help of your iPhone.
- Please connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable or the same WiFi.
- Then sync the downloaded Spotify music to iPhone via iTunes from your computer's local folder.
- Now, you can pair your iPhone and Apple Watch through Bluetooth.
- Once connected, please open the 'Apple Watch' app on your iPhone.
- Then tap 'My Watch' > 'Music' > 'Add Music' to sync the Spotify files to your Apple Watch.
- Once the sync's over, you can control Spotify from Apple Watch even without an iPhone nearby. Have a try and get Apple Watch Spotify offline playback with ease.
Part 5. How to Fix Spotify Not Working on Apple Watch
You may meet the issue of 'Spotify Apple Watch not working' sometimes. Or, you will face the 'Spotify download to Apple Watch stuck' issue. Don't worry. Below are some solutions for you to fix the issue of Spotify on Apple Watch not working.
1. Check whether your Apple Watch is connected to WiFi. If not, please connect the same WiFi with your Apple Watch and iPhone. Then try Spotify once again.
2. Check whether Bluetooth on Apple Watch is enabled. If not, turn it on on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
3. Force close and restart the Spotify app on your Apple Watch. Close the Spotify app and then restart it on your Apple Watch to see whether it can work.
4. Restart your Apple Watch device. By doing this, it will clear out all opened apps. Then power on the Apple Watch again and try to launch the Spotify app again.
5. Update your Apple Watch and the Spotify app. Check whether the Spotify app and Apple Watch are updated or not. If not, please update it to the latest version.
6. Delete the Spotify app on your Apple Watch. Please delete the app completely. Then reinstall it again to your Watch.
If all the solutions above don't work, you can try the way in Part 4. It will help you stream Spotify music on your Apple Watch without any issues.
Part 6. FAQs about Spotify on Apple Watch
Q1: Can I Listen to Spotify Offline on My Apple Watch?
A: Yes. You will need Spotify Premium to play Spotify offline on Apple Watch. Now you can directly download Spotify content to your watch without having to use your phone. If you are a free user, try using DRmare Spotify Downloader to download Spotify music to Apple Watch.
Q2: Can I Play Spotify on Apple Watch without Phone?
A: Yes. If you're a Spotify Premium subscriber, you can enjoy Spotify music directly on your wrist. The new update to the Spotify for Apple Watch app even allows you to download Spotify music directly from your watch.
If you're a free Spotify subscriber, you can't do that; you can only listen to Spotify music on your watch by using your iPhone. However, if you want, you can use DRmare Spotify Converter to do it. You can connect Spotify to Apple Watch and play it offline without your phone and Premium.
Q3: Why Can't I Play Spotify on My Apple Watch?
A: If your Spotify Apple Watch doesn't work, first check if your watch is connected to WiFi. If so, then make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your watch and iPhone. Try turning off your watch and Spotify. Then restart your watch and Spotify and see if it works. If these still don't work, you can update the Spotify app and your Apple Watch. Since there is a new update to the Spotify app, you'd better update Spotify.
Q4: Can I Use Spotify Connect on My Apple Watch?
A: Yes, Spotify Connect works on Apple Watch. Make sure the device you want to use is on the same WiFi connection as your watch. Then open Spotify on your watch and select any playlist to listen to. Simply tap the "Devices" icon at the bottom right and you'll see a list of available devices. Select the device you want and Spotify music will stream to your device.
Part 7. In Conclusion
The new update to the Spotify app for Apple Watch improves the listening experience. You can download Spotify music and play it directly from your watch without the need for a phone. However, these new features require a Spotify Premium account. But don't worry, if you want to know how to access Spotify on Apple Watch without phone offline, you can use DRmare Spotify Downloader. It allows you to download lossless Spotify music for your watch. And it doesn't require Spotify Premium.