How to Listen to Spotify On Garmin Sports Watch While Running
Sports watches and fitness trackers today are almost incorporated with GPS tracking, workout analysis. If you are serious about running, Sports watch is indispensable.
What things would you consider when choosing your new sports watch? Battery life, price, water resistance, lighting or music playback? For me, I cares about music playback feature most. Running is kind of bore. Listening to favorite music will not only brings more fun to us but also motivate us to run farther.
But most wearable devices like Fitbit, SanDisk, they only supports Deezer, iHeartRadio. For the top streaming platform Spotify, currently there are still few compatible wearable devices. Garmin is one of the few brands that support Spotify together with Apple, Samsung. Now let me show you how to stream Spotify on Garmin GPS watches without mobile phones around.
View also: How to Play Spotify on Samsung Gear
Part 1. Full Tips On Getting With Spotify on Garmin
Garmin Wearables with Spotify Integration
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus - This is the the first device from Garmin that is compatible with Spotify app. It is a multisport GPS with wrist-based heart rate, music storage, TOPO maps.
Garmin Forerunner 645 - It is a best overall GPS watch with versatile features. Such as built-in GPS, workout tracking, heart rate sensor, NFC, space for up to 500 songs.
Garmin D2 Delta Series - This is the aviator watch series from Garmin and it is expensive.
Garmin Vivoactive 3 - This is the device Spotify has added the support recently. It is at a relatively low price compared to other models.
What You Need to Add Spotify to Your Garmin Watch
1. Spotify Premium subscription.
2. A compatible Garmin device such as Fenix 5 Plus, Forerunner 645, Vivoactive 3 with more than 50% charge.
3. Your mobile phone vith Garmin Connect app installed.
4. Wi-Fi network.
How to Play Spotify on Garmin Smartwatch Directly
1. Launch the Garmin Connect app from your phone, click "More" to find and open the "Connect IQ Store".
2. Search "Spotify" and click it to install.
3. You can login with your account and password to activate Spotify on Garmin watch.
4. Next you can launch the Spotify app from your watch and select "Library" to download Spotify songs and playlists you want offline.
5. It may take a while. When the songs are downloaded completely, you can play them freely on the go.
Part 2. How to Upload Spotify Songs to Garmin Without Premium
Spotify Premium charges $9.99/month. This maybe not a big amount of money for some users but it is a large number for users like me who lives on budget such as student. Especially I am the user who is more inclined to keep listening to the favorite songs repeatedly. In addition, even if you subscribe to the Premium, it is not allowed to stream all songs on Garmin watches with Internet connection. Only downloaded songs are playable. So is there a way to keep the Spotify music offline one Garmin for free?
Absolutely. You just need to turn turn the Spotify music to common songs. Nowadays many high tech companies have offered kinds of tools to download and convert Spotify songs. DRmare Spotify to Garmin Converter for Windows/Mac stands out for its terrific features and surprisingly clean interface.
Besides the streaming apps, Garmin fitness watches also support to store local songs. You can follow this tips to download Spotify tracks and transfer them to Garmin devices via the Garmin Express app.
- Step 1Import your favorite tracks from Spotify
- Launch DRmare software, you will see the main screen of DRmare. If you have already curated your songs & playlists, you just need to drag and drop them to DRmare software.
- Step 2Select a compatible format
- Garmin devices support a few formats such as MP3, AAC. Please just select a format you want according to your devices. Also, you can do some editing such as change the channel, bit rate, sample rate.
- Step 3Save Spotify songs offline
- Next, you can click "Convert" from the bottom right to backup all your favorite songs to your local computer. If you are using the trial version, it will be limited to convert 1 minute of each song. But that should help you evaluate how the software work exactly. And if you are satisfy with it, you can buy a license to unlock the full features.
- Step 4Upload your songs to Garmin
- When your songs are saved on your computer offline, you can cancel Spotify subscription but still keep all your songs forever. Here I will take Garmin Forerunner 645 to show you how to move your personal music to Garmin watch.
1. Install the Garmin Express application onto your computer.
2. Connect Garmin Forerunner 645 to your computer via an USB cable.
3. Open "Garmin Express" > Click "My Music" or "iTunes Library".
4. Select the songs & playlists and click "Sent to Device".