If you are an Audible lover, you probably want to listen to Audible audiobooks on portable devices like MP3 players, smart watches, etc. However, audiobooks downloaded from Audible are in AA or AAX format and can only be played on the Audible app. So, if you want to enjoy Audible audiobooks on any portable device, you need to convert Audible to MP3. Thankfully, OpenAudible is one such software that allows you to easily download and convert Audible books to MP3. This is the choice of many people. But maybe you're confused about how to use it. If yes, read on to know about this OpenAudible review and its best alternative.
Part 1. OpenAudible: Pros & Cons
OpenAudible is a dedicated software that enables users to download Audible audiobooks as MP3s. Unlike other Audible converters, OpenAudible also allows you to view and manage converted Audible books. Just connect your Audible account to it, and you can browse all purchased audiobooks and download them to MP3 quickly. It is cross-platform and works on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. Now let's take stock of the advantages and disadvantages of OpenAudible for your reference.
✔ Download Audible audiobooks to MP3/M4A/M4B
✔ Also work with MP3/M4A/M4B audiobooks
✔ Easily connect to your Audible account
✔ 10X faster conversion speed
✔ Perserve ID3 tags
❌ Not support audiobooks playback on its software
❌ Not free now
❌ Not support editing ID3 tags
❌ No customer support or free update
❌ Output quality is not lossless
❌ Not support customizing output parameters
Is OpenAudible Safe?
Yes. OpenAudible is safe to use. But if you are afraid of being banned from Audible for connecting to your Audible account, you can skip to Part 3 for an OpenAudible alternative.
Is OpenAudible Free?
No. OpenAudible is initially free to use. But now it has been updated to version 2.0 and cannot be used for free. You need to purchase a license for $18.95 to convert Audible books. It includes one year of free updates, after which you'll pay $11.95 for another year of updates.
Part 2. How to Use OpenAudible
If you can accept the shortcomings of OpenAudible, now let's see how OpenAudible converts Audible to MP3 with detailed steps.
Step 1. Get Prepared
1. Navigate to the official website of OpenAudible and download OpenAudible on your Windows/Mac/Linux computer.
2. On OpenAudible's website, click on 'Purchase' to purchase a license. Then you can get the license code from your email.
3. Launch the OpenAudible software and click on 'About' > 'License' from the menu.
4. Enter your license code in the text box and click on 'Activate'.
Step 2. Connect to Audible
1. Click on 'Controls' > 'Connect to Audible' from the top menu.
2. Enter your Audible email and password.
3. Then you will see all your Audible audiobooks.
Step 3. Download and Convert Audible Books
1. You will be asked if you want to download the Audible library. If you click 'Yes', it will automatically download all your audiobooks. If you click 'No', you can then choose to download individual books.
2. To download single Audible books, select them and choose 'Action' > 'Download'. It will take several minutes to download a book. (You'd better use the official method to download Audible books, because sometimes this software fails to download.)
3. After downloading, you can select an audiobook and choose 'Action' > 'Convert to MP3' to start converting it. You can also select convert Audible books to M4B and it provides better output quality.
(If you use the official way to download audiobooks, you can import them by clicking 'File' > 'Import Books'.)
Part 3. Best OpenAudible Alternative
OpenAudible is perfect for Audible lovers. But since updating to version 2.0, many people are unwilling to pay because of its shortcomings. Therefore, we want to show you the best alternative to OpenAudible - DRmare Audible Converter.
It can convert Audible books to MP3/AAC/M4A/M4B/WAV/FLAC. It supports batch conversion and works 30 times faster. It doesn't require your Audible account, and you can easily drag & drop audiobooks into it to convert. After conversion, you can listen to your favorite audiobooks directly on this program or on your local media player. You can also move the converted Audible books to any other device for playback. Even better, this all-in-one converter also works with Apple Music, iTunes songs and other audio files.
Key Features of DRmare Audio Converter
How to Use DRmare Audible Converter
- Step 1Add Audible books to DRmare
- Download, install, and open the DRmare Audible Converter. Then you can drag and drop your downloaded Audible books to its main software. Alternatively, you can click on the 'add files' button at the bottom left to import Audible files.
- Step 2Reset Audible output format and other parameters
- You can also skip this step and this software will automatically convert Audible books to MP3 for you. If you have other needs, click on the 'audio' icon at the bottom-right corner. Then you can change the output format, channel, bit rate, and so on. Then click on 'OK'.
- Step 3Convert Audible audiobooks
- Click on the 'Convert' icon at the bottom right to start converting Audible files at 30 times faster. When it ends, you can click on the 'History' list at the bottom right to view and play Audible audiobooks offline. You can also hit on the 'Converted' folder to find the converted Audible books on your local computer and start listening. If you want to move them to other devices, it is also workable.
Part 4. Comparison of OpenAudible and DRmare Audible Converter
Now let's see the differences between OpenAudible and the best OpenAudible alternative - DRmare Audible Converter.
|OpenAudible||DRmare Audible Converter|
|Support System||Windows, Mac, Linux||Windows, Mac|
|Keep and Edit ID3 Tags||❌(only keep ID3 tags)||✔|
|Split Audible Books||✔||✔|
|Support Output Format||MP3/M4A/M4B||MP3/M4A/M4B/AAC/WAV/FLAC|
|Output Quality||Not Lossless||Lossless|
|Customize Output Parameters||❌||✔|
|Price||$18.95/year, then $11.95/year||$14.95/month, $29.95/quarter, $69.95/lifetime|
|Free Customer Support||❌||✔|
|Support Input Audio||Audible files, MP3/M4A/M4B audiobooks||Audible files, Apple Music, iTunes music, etc.|
As you can see above, DRmare Audible Converter has more powerful functions than OpenAudible. If you are looking for an alternative to OpenAudible, you might consider it. For more economical savings, we recommend that you choose a lifetime license.