When it comes to connected Wifi speakers, Sonos is undoubtedly the best one. After its first debut in 2002, it transforms the home audio system into digital era with multi-room speaker platform. Users can listen to the same pure high quality music from every corner at home, making it best for holding parties.
Beyond that, What makes Sonos better is that it has been consistently working hard to partner with third party streaming platforms and smart home providers. Until now, Sonos supports many platforms like Pandora, iHeartRadio, Spotify, MOG, QQ Music, Apple Music, Amazon Music and work with the major smart voice assistants Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple's Siri.
That is a really good news for Apple fans who want to use Apple Music on Sonos which was not possible before. Do you want to do that too? If so, just continue to find out the detailed instruction.
- Part 1. Apple Music and Sonos Guide
- Part 2. Play Apple Music on Sonos without Subscription
- Part 3. More Tips
Part 1. How to Use Apple Music on Sonos
Although it is not difficult to connect Apple Music to Sonos, if you don't pay attention, it is easy to run into Sonos Apple Music problems if you are the first time to set up it. So please follow the tips here.
What You Need to Get Started
- A compatible Sonos speaker.
- An active Apple Music subscription account.
- Apple Music app latest version.
- Sonos Controller app latest version.
Add Apple Music to Sonos via the Controller App
You can only set up the connection by using iOS 10 or later or an Android phone with Android 5.0 or later. Kindle devices, Android tablets, Windows/Mac PC are not supported. But once you add Apple Music successfully, you should be able to control Apple music on any platforms.
- Install Sonos Controller app on your iOS or Android phone and use it to initialize your Sonos speaker first.
- On the Sonos app, click "More" > "Add Music Services" from the main menu.
- From the popup music service list, choose "Apple Music" and tap "Add to Sonos" button.
- Now you can follow the screen instruction to complete the setup.
- When it is done, you can easily control and play Apple Music on Sonos as you want.
Control Apple Music with Alexa
Another surprising feature for music fan is that you can control Apple Music hands free. Take Alexa for example. You just need to enable the Apple Music skill on alexa.amazon.com. Then you can get started with commands like "Alexa, play today's hits on Apple Music" or "Alexa, play Beat1 radio on Apple Music".
You can also set Apple Music as the default music service and you will be no longer need to end each command with "on Apple Music".
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap the "Settings" icon from the top left corner and choose "Music".
- click "Choose default Music services" and choose "Apple Music" from the opened window.
Use AirPlay to Control Apple Music on Your Sonos Device
Some Sonos devices such as Sonos One, Play:5, Playbase and Sonos Beam which come with the AirPlay feature. If you have such devices and want to listen to different music from different room, you can AirPlay Apple Music easily.
- Make sure your Sonos speaker is AirPlay 2 enabled. If not, please install the AirPlay 2 firmware update.
- Play the song or playlist of Apple Music from your iOS device.
- Swipe up from the bottom to open the Control Center.
- Click the "AirPlay" icon and choose to cast to the destination Sonos speaker you want.
Part 2. How to Play Apple Music on Sonos without Subscription
Apple Music stream at 256Kbps with AAC codec, it sounds fantastic on the Sonos speaker. But Apple Music doesn't offer free service. This means if your 3-month free trial is expired, you won't be able to play Apple Music on Sonos anymore.
So what can you do here? Is it the only way to continue to pay $9.99 to subscribe to Apple Music?
Well, there is a better way around here.
The reason why Apple Music can't be used after unsubscribing is due to the DRM protection. If you can get rid of the DRM protection, then you can enjoy the downloaded Apple Music M4P songs just like the songs you purchased from iTunes forever.
So just need need to use a third party tool DRmare Apple Music Converter for Windows/Mac to help you remove the DRM protection and convert Apple Music M4P to MP3.
By doing this, you can transfer Apple music to any devices such as Sonos speakers. You don't need to worry your device is not compatible.
DRmare Apple Music to Sonos Converter
- One click to unlock and convert Apple Music to MP3, M4A, AAC, M4B, FLAC, WAV
- 30X faster converting speed, save your time to get your music quickly
- Empower you to listen to Apple Music without subscription, save your money
- Provide lifetime free software update, enhance your listening experience
Now you can follow the 4 steps to convert Apple Music and transfer the songs to Sonos.
- Step 1Import Apple Music songs
- As a batch converter, DRmare lets you import as many songs as you want at a time. You just need to drag and drop the Apple Music M4P tracks or you can click "+" button to browser them from the iTunes library directly.
- Step 2Select a compatible format
- The original format M4P is not compatible with Sonos. You just select a new format such as AAC, FLAC, M4A, MP3, WAV which are all supported perfectly by Sonos speaker. You can also customize the bit rate, sample rate, codec.
- Step 3Convert Apple Music to common files
- After that, you can click the big "Convert" button from the bottom right. The software will start to convert the songs immediately. It may take some time if you import a lot of songs. So please wait patiently. Anyway, you just need to let the software to do that by itself, so it won't waste your time.
- Step 4Transfer the Apple Music to Sonos
- When it is done, you will have all the common songs without DRM protection from your computer. You can launch the Sonos Controller App to import the songs. Click "Manage" > Select "Music Library Settings" and then click "+" button to browse and import the converted Apple Music files. Now you can listen to Apple Music on Sonos even if you don't have a membership.
Part 3. FAQs
#1. Work Sonos work with the Apple Music family subscription account.
Yes, it does.
#2. I have followed the right instruction to use Alexa, but it doesn't work, what can I do?
This feature only works in some countries. You can try to contact the Apple Music if you are sure your country is on the support list.
#3. What Apple Music features can I use on Sonos?
You can use all the features like "For You", "New", "Radio", "iTunes Match" and so on. As for the iTunes Match, it enables you to play all your music from other sources like CDs straight to your Sonos system.
#4. How to filter out explicit content?
You just need to enable the Parental Controls on Sonos.
Leave a Comment