Q: I found out a totally free media server, called Universal media server that can stream video and audio files to my new smart TV directly. And it's really a forgettable experience watching videos on big screen. But I met some obstacles when I import movies and TV shows purchased and rented from iTunes store to this smart media server. I'm eager to convert iTunes movies and TV shows to Universal Media Server so that I can stream iTunes rented videos to smart TV via Media Server as the birthday gift to my kid. Is there any solution to stream iTunes purchases and rentals to Universal Media Server with ease?
Part 1. Everything We Know about Universal Media Server & iTunes Videos
Originated as a fork of PS3 Media Server, Universal Media Server (short for UMS) is a DLNA-compliant media server. It is capable of streaming videos, audios, photos and other media files to any DLNA compatible device, such as video games consoles, smart TVs, phones and Blu-ray players with the same network connection. With the easy-to-use web interface, Universal Media Server can also support non-DLNA devices and more compatible renderers. It also allows you to adjust bit rate automatically. Although more and more big hitters are joining to this DLNA party, such as Intel, HP, Motorola, HTC, Microsoft, Samsung, LG and more, Apple has decided not to join this fascinating family. In other words, UMS can’t support iTunes movies and TV shows directly. And Apple has applied FairPlay DRM technology in iTunes digital content, including movies, TV shows, music videos, audiobooks, and more, which prevents iTunes digital files playing anywhere but Apple devices and players only.
Part 2. Exclusive Solution to Convert iTunes DRM Videos to UMS
With the intention to enjoy iTunes movies to other DLNA devices via Universal Media Server, you should make iTunes DRM movies and TV episodes available on this professional media streaming service. Obviously, you need to equip with a third-party iTunes DRM removal tool to break DRM lock from iTunes purchased and rented videos. In order to avoid extra hassle, I high recommend you to have a try of DRmare M4V Converter, which can not only get rid of DRM protection from iTunes purchases and rentals, but also convert iTunes DRM M4V to Universal supported formats, such as MP4. You don't need to worry about the output quality of iTunes digital content, since DRmare iTunes DRM removal software can work at 30X faster speed without touching original iTunes files. Besides, with the help of DRmare M4V Converter, you can get rid of 48-hour limitation and keep iTunes rentals forever.
DRmare DRM M4V to UMS Converter
Part 3. Step-by-step Guide to Transfer iTunes DRM Videos to Universal Streaming Server
When you start to remove DRM protection from iTunes video files, you should make sure that the wanted iTunes videos are downloaded to your computer and all iTunes purchases and rentals are protected by DRM technology. If these two things are OK, you can follow the detailed guide to convert iTunes DRM-ed movies to unprotected videos for Universal Media Server.
- Step 1Import iTunes DRM protected files to DRmare
- Once you launch DRmare M4V Converter, you can start to import iTunes DRM M4V videos to DRmare software by clicking the "Add Files" button at the bottom-left of the main screen. A new window will show up, where you can choose favorite iTunes DRM movies from iTunes library. Or you can drag the iTunes DRM purchases and drop them to the main interface of DRmare.
- Step 2Customize output settings for Universal Media Server
- When added iTunes DRM M4V videos successfully, you can go down to define the output format. Since Universal Media Server can be fully compatible with MP4 format, you can set output format as MP4 for Media Server. Also in this step, you can personalize the converted iTunes videos by changing the video parameters, like bit rate, video size, and frame rate.
- Step 3Remove DRM & convert iTunes M4V for UMS
- Now, you can set the destination folder for recorded iTunes DRM-free movies. Of course, you can skip this step to keep by default. If all settings are ready, what you need to do is touch the "Convert" button at the bottom-right corner of the main interface. After a while, the conversion process will finish and you can open the target folder you set before to get the DRM-free iTunes MP4 files.
Part 4. How to Stream iTunes DRM-free Videos to Any Device via Universal
When you received unprotected iTunes videos on the target folder, you can follow the simple steps to cast iTunes purchases and rentals to Universal Media Server.
1. When you open the UMS, you can touch the Navigation/Share Settings at the top of main menu of Universal Media Server. Under the Shared Folders section, you can click the unnecessary shared folders and press the red x to remove them directly.
2. You can start to add folders containing iTunes non-DRM video files by clicking the Folder icon. Please click the Open button and the folder will be added to the list of shard folder.
3. Once the folder included iTunes videos was added successfully, you can press Restart Server to complete the all settings. And the last step you should do is to choose the streaming device to stream iTunes movies and TV shows across the same home network.