How to Unprotect the Old iTunes M4P Songs
"I have purchased couples of iTunes M4P songs before 2019. As they are DRM protected, I can't copy them to elsewhere. Is there a way to remove DRM from iTunes M4P files so that I can use it on iMovie?"
In order to provide customers with better music enjoying experience, many music vendors had decided to stop DRM. Apple followed the same decision in 2009. But what can you do if the songs are bought previously? Just take it easy. You can use the official iTunes Match service or third party iTunes DRM audio converter.
View also: How to Remove DRM from Apple Music
Part 1. How to Download DRM-Free Version Songs from iTunes Plus
Apple rolled out the iTunes Plus to provide high quality AAC audio files without Digital Rights Management (DRM). If you bought music with DRM from iTunes Store previously before 2009, you just need to subscribe to the iTunes Match service. And follow the instruction to replace your songs with a higher quality DRM free quality version.
Step 1. Sign in iTunes with your Apple ID and password.
Step 2. Go to "My Music" tab at the top of iTunes and delete the songs or album which you want to upgrade from the iTunes library.
Step 3. Click the "iTunes Store" tab and click "Purchased" to find all the purchased items.
Step 4. Click the cloud icon to redownload the new version of songs or album.
Part 2. How to Convert iTunes DRM M4P Files with Third-Party Software
With the iTunes Match, it does work pretty well to upgrade your iTunes M4P songs to DRM free M4A. But since it is a subscription service, it will keep charging you monthly. That is not good. Why bother to keep spending the money? Instead of paying recurring fees, you can also use a third party one time fee software DRmare Audio Converter for Windows/Mac.
This tool can smartly capture the audio module from iTunes during converting and extract the M4P songs to M4A, MP3, AAC, M4B, FLAC and WAV. As it doesn't contain any redundancy features, the overall performance is great. You will get lossless audio files after converting. And you don't need to wait a long time with its 30X faster converting speed.
View also: Top 10 Great Apple Music Alternatives
Best iTunes DRM Audio Converter
- User friendly interface, enjoy much better experience compared to freewares
- Remove DRM from all kinds of audio files from iTunes library
- Batch convert your music files to kinds of formats for any devices you have
- It is on promotion with lowest price and lifetime free upgrade, technical support
Not sure how it works to unprotect iTunes songs? Just follow this quick tutorial. It has never been easier with the well-crafted application. It works well on both Windows and Mac computer. Here I take the Mac version for example.
- Step 1Load iTunes M4P songs
- You can drag and drop the songs from iTunes library to the DRmare software main screen or browse the files directly. Please pick up the way which is easier for you.
- Step 2Choose output format
- Please simply click the "format" button, it will prompt you the format options. You can select one match your destination device. Such as iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Huawei P10, LG G7, Samsung Note, Sony Bravia. If you are not sure which format works well for you, you'd better choose "MP3" which is a universal format.
- Step 3Convert iTunes M4P music
- Your settings won't take effect until you convert them. Please just click "Convert" from the bottom right to initial the process. Within a few minutes, you should see all your DRM-free version songs on the output folder. And you can move them to any other devices for playback freely. No authorization needed.
Part 3. Which One Is a Better Solution?
So that is all for today's topic. You can either use the iTunes Match or DRmare Audio Converter to remove DRM protection. Both work pretty well. The difference is that iTunes Match will charge you much more money in the long run. And DRmare Audio Converter is one time fee software yet offer much more features. For example, it converts other files including DRM audiobook, Apple Music, Audible files. By comparison, the latter one is slightly better.
What do you think? Please let's know your thoughts on the comment section below.